As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We all love how our hair looks with a fresh new color, but keeping it in great shape can be a bit tricky, especially when it comes to relaxing. Chemical relaxers can be tough on your hair, and if it’s color-treated, you need to be extra careful.
In this guide, we’re going to talk about the best relaxers for color-treated hair in a way that’s easy to understand. We’ll help you figure out how to get that smooth, sleek look without sacrificing your hair’s health.
Whether you’re dealing with frizz, too much volume, or just want a neater style, finding the right relaxer for your colored hair is the key. So, let’s explore some top options and get your hair looking fantastic while keeping it in tip-top condition.
What Does Relaxing Hair Mean?
“Relaxing hair” is a way of chemically altering your natural hair texture to make it straighter or less curly. This involves using a special product called a relaxer or a cream that breaks down the natural protein bonds in your hair. As a result, your hair becomes easier to manage and appears smoother and straighter.
Many people with curly, coily, or kinky hair types choose to relax their hair to achieve a different look. However, it’s important to be aware that the process can be harsh on your hair if not done correctly or if done too frequently. It may lead to issues like hair breakage and dryness.
To make sure you get the best results without causing harm to your hair, it’s essential to follow the instructions carefully and consider your hair’s specific needs. It’s often a good idea to consult with a professional hairstylist who can provide guidance and expertise in the relaxing process.
Best relaxer Products for color treated hair
Hawaiian Silky Relaxer
- Versatile Formula: The Hawaiian Silky Relaxer Super Formula works wonders on a wide range of hair types, making it a versatile choice.
- Gentle on Hair: It’s designed to keep your hair damage to a minimum while giving you those silky, straight results you desire.
- User-Friendly Kit: The kit comes with everything you need for an at-home application, making the process a breeze.
- Budget-Friendly: It’s easy on the pocket, making it an attractive choice for those watching their wallet.
- Happy Customers: Users have sung praises about its effectiveness, which is always a good sign.
- Chemical Smell: Be prepared for a somewhat strong chemical odor during application.
- Pre- and Post-Treatment: Depending on your hair’s condition, you might need to give it a little extra TLC before and after the treatment.
Affirm Relaxer Kit
- Complete Kit: The Affirm Relaxer Kit is an all-in-one package with multiple applications, offering fantastic value for money.
- Efficient Straightening: It gets the job done, straightening your hair effectively while minimizing damage.
- Glowing Reviews: Users have given it the thumbs up for its performance.
- Versatile: It’s suitable for various hair types and textures, so it’s quite versatile.
- Lasting Results: After using this kit, many have reported their hair stays straight for quite a while.
- Potent Formulation: For some, the formula might be a tad strong, so handle with care.
- Precise Application Needed: Given its strength, precise application and timing are crucial.
ORS Olive Oil Built-In Protection No-Lye Relaxer
- Olive Oil Goodness: This relaxer is enriched with olive oil, giving your hair an extra dose of moisture and protection.
- No-Lye Formula: The no-lye formula is kinder to your scalp and hair.
- Budget-Friendly: It’s easy on the wallet, providing an affordable option for effective results.
- Happy Customers: Many users have had positive experiences with this product.
- Built-In Protection: The product includes built-in protection to minimize potential damage.
- Not for All Hair Types: It may not be the best choice for extremely coarse or resistant hair.
- Strong Smell: There’s a noticeable chemical odor during application.
Creme of Nature Relaxer with Argan Oil – Super Strength
- Argan Oil Boost: The argan oil infusion provides an extra layer of nourishment and shine to your hair.
- Super Strength: If you’ve got coarser hair, this one’s designed with you in mind.
- Gentle Formula: It works to minimize damage while delivering those straight results.
- Happy Customers: Many folks have found success with this product.
- Bang for Your Buck: It’s priced just right for those seeking professional-grade results.
- Strong Chemical Smell: The product has a noticeable chemical scent.
- Precise Application Needed: Handle with care; precision in application and timing is essential.
- Not for Sensitive Scalps: If your scalp is prone to sensitivity, this might not be the best choice.
Softsheen-Carson Optimum Care Original Relaxer
- Professional-Grade Formula: It’s designed for salon-quality results in the comfort of your home.
- Top-Notch Straightening: You can count on this relaxer to straighten effectively while being kind to your hair.
- Glowing Reviews: Many users have had fantastic results.
- Fits All Hair Types: It’s a great option for a wide range of hair types and textures.
- Shiny Locks: After using this relaxer, some have noticed their hair shines like never before.
- Strong Chemical Smell: You’ll encounter that typical chemical odor.
- Precise Application Required: Careful application and timing are essential.
- Not for Newbies: If you’re new to relaxers, it might be a tad overwhelming.
Professional Conditioning Relaxer
- Regular Formula: This relaxer is designed for regular hair types, making it a versatile choice for individuals with different hair textures.
- Gentle Conditioning: The formula is enriched with conditioning agents to minimize damage and maintain your hair’s health.
- Professional-Grade: It’s created with salon-quality results in mind, offering you a high standard of care.
- Large Size: With a generous 16.76 oz package, you’ll have plenty of product for multiple applications.
- User-Friendly: The application process is straightforward, making it suitable for both beginners and experienced users.
- Versatile for Different Hair Types: The regular formula can cater to a wide range of hair textures.
- Conditioning Benefits: Enriched with conditioning agents, it helps protect and nourish your hair during the relaxing process.
- Professional Quality: It’s designed to deliver salon-quality results, ensuring you get the best for your hair.
- Ample Product: With a larger package size, you won’t run out of product quickly.
- User-Friendly Application: The straightforward application process is great for those new to relaxers.
- Chemical Odor: Like many relaxers, it may come with a strong chemical smell during application.
- Precise Application Needed: As with any relaxer, careful application and timing are essential for optimal results.
Motions Classic Relaxer
Preparing Your Hair for use relaxer for color treated hair
Assess Your Hair’s Condition: Before you apply any relaxer, closely examine your hair’s current condition. Evaluate factors such as its texture, porosity, and overall health. This evaluation will help you select the most suitable relaxer and determine the necessary processing time.
Perform a Strand Test: To ensure the chosen relaxer aligns with your color-treated hair, actively perform a strand test. Take a small hair section and apply the relaxer according to the product’s instructions. This test will unveil how your hair responds to the formula and allow you to adjust the processing time if needed.
Use Color Protection Shampoo and Conditioner: Before the relaxer treatment, actively use color-protecting shampoo and conditioner. These products are formulated to prolong your hair color’s vibrancy and reduce color fading during the relaxer application.
Administer a Deep Conditioning Treatment: Actively treat your hair to a deep conditioning session in the days leading up to the relaxer application. Deep conditioning actively maintains the moisture balance of your hair, reducing the risk of excessive damage.
Avoid Other Chemical Treatments: Actively refrain from subjecting your hair to additional chemical treatments in the weeks before your relaxer application. This includes processes such as hair coloring, perming, or straightening. Overlapping chemicals can actively weaken your hair and lead to undesirable results.
Maintain Proper Scalp Care: An actively healthy scalp is essential for a successful relaxer application. Avoid actively scratching, exposing to excessive heat, or chemically irritating your scalp. If your scalp is sensitive, consider actively applying a protective scalp base or barrier cream to prevent irritation.
Clarify Your Hair: Actively utilize a clarifying shampoo to remove any product buildup or residue from your hair. Clean hair ensures that the relaxer can penetrate evenly and work effectively.
Protect Sensitive Areas: Prior to actively applying the relaxer, shield sensitive areas such as your hairline, ears, and neck with petroleum jelly or a protective barrier cream to actively prevent potential chemical burns.
Gather Your Tools: Before you commence the application, actively ensure you have all the necessary tools and products ready. This includes gloves, a relaxer brush or applicator, a plastic or glass mixing bowl, and a timer to actively monitor processing time.
Read Product Instructions Carefully: Actively read and comprehend the product instructions provided with your chosen relaxer. Actively follow them diligently to ensure a safe and effective application.
Enlist Professional Help: If you lack experience in applying relaxers, actively consider seeking the assistance of a professional hairstylist. They possess the expertise to assess your hair and apply the relaxer accurately while actively minimizing risks.
Timing and Application: Timing actively plays a crucial role during the relaxer application. Work in sections, actively apply the relaxer from the root to the tip while avoiding overlap onto previously relaxed hair. Actively pay close attention to the recommended processing time and do not surpass it.
Aftercare and Maintenance for Best relaxer for color treated hair
Post-Relaxer Shampoo and Conditioning: After your relaxer treatment, start with a gentle cleanse using a color-safe, sulfate-free shampoo. Following that, employ a deep conditioning treatment tailored to color-treated hair. This process will not only restore moisture but also prevent dryness caused by the relaxer.
Regular Deep Conditioning: To keep your hair strong and supple, it’s essential to incorporate regular deep conditioning into your hair care routine. Try to deep condition your hair at least once a week. Furthermore, this additional hydration is instrumental in reducing the risk of breakage.
Leave-In Conditioner: Additionally, apply a leave-in conditioner to maintain your hair’s moisture balance. A high-quality leave-in conditioner offers added protection and nourishment, which is especially beneficial for color-treated hair.
Trimming and Split End Removal: Implement scheduled trims to ensure the health of your hair’s ends. These trims actively help prevent split ends and reduce the risk of breakage, both of which are more common in color-treated hair.
Avoid Heat Styling: It’s crucial to limit the use of heated styling tools like flat irons and curling irons. Excessive heat has the potential to cause color fading and weaken your hair. In the event that you must use heat, always apply a heat protectant product beforehand.
Protective Styles: To actively reduce stress on your hair and protect it from external factors that can affect your hair color, embrace protective hairstyles such as braids, twists, or buns.
Color-Protecting Products: For the maintenance of your hair color’s vibrancy and longevity, continue to use color-protecting shampoos, conditioners, and leave-in treatments that are specifically designed for color-treated hair.
Avoid Overwashing: Refrain from overwashing your hair, as this can lead to the stripping of natural oils that contribute to your hair’s health. Wash your hair only when necessary, and use a dry shampoo between washes.
Cold Water Rinse: Finish your hair wash with a cool water rinse. This practice is instrumental in sealing the hair cuticles, effectively locking in moisture and enhancing the longevity of your hair color.
UV Protection: To safeguard your hair from the sun’s harmful UV rays, either wear a hat or use hair products that incorporate built-in UV protection. Prolonged exposure to UV rays can result in color fading.
Avoid Chlorine and Saltwater: When engaging in swimming activities, shield your hair from the potential damage caused by chlorine and saltwater. You can either use a swim cap or apply a protective hair serum before swimming.
Balanced Diet and Hydration: Active maintenance of a balanced diet and ensuring proper hydration is essential. These steps actively provide your body with the necessary nutrients to maintain strong, lustrous hair.
Avoid Overlapping Chemical Treatments: Prevent overlapping of chemical treatments, such as hair coloring or additional relaxer applications, as this can lead to excessive damage.
Regular Check-Ups: Lastly, make it a point to visit your hairstylist for regular check-ups and maintenance. They can assess the condition of your hair, provide recommendations for treatments, and offer professional care.
Conclusion , Best relaxer for color treated hair
In the pursuit of finding the most suitable relaxer for color-treated hair, it is crucial to strike a delicate balance between achieving a sleek, straight appearance and preserving the hair’s color and overall health. Throughout this exploration, we’ve delved into various relaxer options, each offering distinct features, pros, and cons.
Whether it’s the versatility of formulas like the Hawaiian Silky Relaxer or the comprehensive kit of the Affirm Relaxer, the nourishing properties of ORS Olive Oil relaxer, the strength of the Creme of Nature Relaxer with Argan Oil, or the professional-grade precision of Softsheen-Carson, the key takeaway is that you have a variety of choices at your disposal.
The success of your color-treated, relaxed hair ultimately hinges on the harmonious synergy between the chosen relaxer and your hair’s specific requirements. It is essential to take into account your hair’s type, texture, and any pre-existing conditions before making a selection. Furthermore, it is imperative to conduct strand tests, adhere to product instructions rigorously, and consistently prioritize the well-being of your hair throughout the entire process.
As we bring this exploration to a close, one thing remains evident: the finest relaxer for color-treated hair is one that aligns seamlessly with your individual hair profile, delivers the desired straightening results, and actively preserves the vibrancy of your hair color. With adequate preparation, meticulous aftercare, and unwavering consistency, your hair can continue to radiate its brilliance, both in terms of its sleekness and its color vibrancy.
Ultimately, it is not solely about the choice of the relaxer itself but also the devoted care and attention you invest in meeting the distinct needs of your hair that will lead you to the most appropriate selection for your color-treated, relaxed tresses.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.